Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 2004 20:57:25 -0500
From:      "Jay West" <jwest@classiccmp.org>
To:        <freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Dual AMD64, APCI woes, 5.2.1-Rel, Help!

I'm trying to get another FreeBSD system up at our office for a mission =
critical app. Unfortunately if I can't figure this problem out, FreeBSD =
will be tossed and Linux used instead and I really don't want that. =
We've always been a FreeBSD/i386 house, this is our first foray into =
Opteron. Here's the particulars....

Rhapsody HDAMA-F mainboard
Dual bge 10/100/1000 nics
8gb ram
dual Opteron 2.0ghz cpus
LSI megaraid amr 320-2X raid controller w/128mb cache
Four ultra-320 15Krpm scsi drives, 35gb each

The drives are set up raid 10. A striped set of 70gb, then a 70gb =
mirror.

I'm using the amd64 ISO for 5.2.1-Release

My problem seems to center around APCI. If I disable APCI in the bios =
and boot off the install CD and select the boot without APCI, the system =
comes up and installs just fine. However, it seems to only recognize one =
cpu. At least, the sysctl variables I looked at appeared to indicate =
just one cpu and the top display didn't have a cpu column.

If I leave APCI enabled, the system boots off the cd fine but when the =
installed starts to probe the devices, it gets stuck just after the line =
for the CD drive (acd0). I am pretty certain that that is exactly the =
point where it's probing the scsi drives, because if APCI is turned off =
- right after the acd0 probe is where geom starts and the disk is =
recognized. The lsi controller is definitely recognized ok further up in =
the probe display.

I'd just disable APCI to get around this, but if FreeBSD will only use =
one cpu.... management will switch to Suse (which purportedly runs this =
configuration perfectly) and I'd really like to stay FreeBSD. Normally =
I'd just love to dive into the new and unknown (to me) opteron/5.X/APCI =
stuff. But I'm completely out of time on this project to get the machine =
up. Could anyone possibly offer me some quick pointers or help on this? =
I've googled lots and so far not come up with anything concrete, other =
than "disable APCI" which seems to leave me with just one cpu.

Please cc replies to jwest@classiccmp.org as I'm not on this list.

Regards,

Jay West