Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2000 15:14:42 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        Matthew Hagerty <matthew@venux.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-4.0 specs?

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Matthew Hagerty wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>I was wondering if there was someplace that details the specifications of
>FreeBSD-4.0 and how it is different from the 3.x work?  I was shocked at
>how soon 4.0 was being worked on, even before 3.1 was released (I
>think).  A major release number just seems like such a major change in the
>kernel, etc.  Anyway, I'm just curious and wondered where I might find more
>info.

If i understand this correctly (and i'm sure i'll be corrected if not  ;-)
Once a major release goes public, -current is slated for the next major
revision number.  So, when 3.0 came out, -current would be slated to be
4.0.  Meanwhile, enhancements are built and tested on -current, and where
possible, these are back-ported to the 3.x branch.  Also, minor
enhancements and bug fixes are incorporated in each of the 3.x
releases (the -stable branch).  Some changes, however, cannot be back
ported, due to major architecture changes or other reasons.  These
enhancements stay in -current until the next major release, which in this
case will be 4.0.