Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 1996 08:20:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dave Walton <dwalton@psiint.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, lmcsato@lmc.ericsson.se, brian@MediaCity.Com, questions@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BitsurfrPro on FBSD 2.1 & MLPPP broken

On Fri, 29 Mar 1996, Michael Smith wrote:

> Dave Walton stands accused of saying:
> >
> > I don't mean to be a pain here, but I really don't understand the
> > insistence that this is purely a hardware problem.  The second half of
>
> No matter what the input, the BS shouldn't crash and reboot.  Period.
> This is why it's a hardware problem.

That's a good point.  However, I think the BitSURFR has some sort of
software reset capability.  If the software is sending something it
shouldn't, there exists the possibility that it's triggering that.

> > his sentence above (which you didn't quote) points out that the same
> > hardware works correctly under Win95.  I'm not suggesting that it's
>
> So the hardware works 'properly' if it works under W95?  That's just the
> sort of pathetic mentality that makes 90% of the PC hardware on the market
> just so much rubbish.

Whoa.  Relax, Mike.  I was just saying that it works without crashing
under <some software other than the software it crashes with>.  That the
software it works with is Win95 is incidental, and doesn't change my
point.  Changing software makes the problem go away, so maybe there's
something that can be done to the problem software that will make it
work.

However, Jordan commented that FreeBSD pushes the BitSURFR harder than
Win95.  That's probably true, which means the BitSURFR is failing under
high load.

In other words, it's broken.

I think I'll sit down and shut up now.

Dave

David Walton                                     Unix Programmer
PSI INTERNATIONAL, Inc.                          email: dwalton@psiint.com
190 South Orchard #C200                          Fax  :(707)451-6484
Vacaville, CA 95688                              Phone:(707)451-3503