Date:      Sat, 08 Aug 1998 11:19:04 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getpwuid - after chroot?

Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> I just tried compiling it on HPUX 9.0.  It won't compile due to not
> having setpassent.  I compiled it on linux 2.0.24 and running as root
> I get this:
>
> second getpwuid(0) didn't work

Apparently the code does work on NetBSD, OpenBSD and BSDI - but not FreeBSD...
The first call to 'setpassent(1)' is meant to go to the start of the password
database, and keep the file open...

On the other BSD's (verified by the program author, not myself) it works, This
is because once you've chroot'd you can still use calls to getpwent etc. - as
you opened the file (and got the descriptor) before you chroot'd. On FreeBSD
this doesn't happen...

I'm not saying their behaviour is right, and ours is wrong - I'm just wondering
which is better (i.e. to make FreeBSD do the same as the others - or to adjust
the offending program accordingly (i.e. a workaround etc.))?

Regards,

Karl