Date:      Wed, 23 Nov 2005 09:07:35 +0100
From:      Sebastiaan van Erk <sebster@sebster.com>
To:        Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews@isc.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DHCP client error: domain_not_set.invalid

Hi,

Mark Andrews wrote:

>>This is just the attitude that's going to get people to use other
>>software. People are going to laugh at you trying to get a network
>>connection and joke "it works fine with Windows". Then you try and
>>explain that it's not your OS's fault and somebody messed up some
>>setting somewhere else. And then they laugh some more watching you struggle.
>

> 	Actually it is reasonable.  Windows lets users violate RFC's
> 	in many ways.

Yes, it might be reasonable, but it is still going to stop you from
being able to connect to a network, whereas Windows users have no problems.

> 	RFC 952 specifies what is legal in a hostname.  While one
> 	can theoretically search for things other than hosts the
> 	only real use of the search strings today is for hostnames
> 	and/or mail domains (which are syntactically indentical to
> 	hostnames).
>
> 	What would be really interesting to know is what they expect
> 	the customers to find using this suffix.

Actually the entire search domain thing is pretty useless in most cases
for home users (unless they have their own internal network, in which
case they have their own DNS and DHCP servers). People navigate the
internet using fully qualified domain names and it is almost never
necessary to have a search domain; it just slows things down having it
search for hostnotfound.domain.com.mysearchdomain.com.

> 	My bet is that this really is just a configuration error on
> 	their part.

Could be, or more probably it's just the default setting of the modem.
I've had one of these modems, and it took me forever to find the proper
setting because in the web interface of the modem they obviously didn't
feel like calling it search domain; I can't remember what they called it
but they annotated it with the comment "necessary for some ISPs", which
just completely wrong-footed me.

I'm not fall into an endless discussion so I'm going to wrap it up, but
I think it would be really nice if the FreeBSD user could solve this
problem themselves instead of having to rely on other people that may
not be inclined to put much priority on the issue. And by that I mean a
solution other than hacking the code, which is quite much to ask of a
regular user. An option to ignore the setting would be just fine, an
option to override it even better. I don't know if you can even disable
the search domain (haven't read the RFC) but this would be even better
in many cases,  avoiding queries that are not necessary.

Greetings,
Seb*