Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 03:01:39 +0800
From:      Clive Lin <clive@GnatS.CirX.ORG>
To:        Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound Blaster 128 PCI (ESS1371) support in current?

On Wed, Dec 15, 1999 at 12:37:43PM -0500, Donn Miller wrote:

> I've got the ESS 1868 chipset, and all I get is static.  In fact, when I
> press the "play" button in RealPlayer, the sound clip never starts but
> hangs in the beginning.  Then, RealPlayer itself hangs.  I end up killing
> RealPlayer with killall -15 rvplayer.  I too just made world, and remade
> my audio devices.

    Alas. It seems not only ISA SoundBlaster like me got this problem.

    Well, I believe there must something missed in rescent commits about
src/sys/dev/sound. May be in pcm/ or isa/, dunno. At least there's one thing
wrong... the ioctl(fdofdevdsp, SNDCTL_DSP_GETFMTS, &test); success before
will fail now. Various players may hang when some ioctl like above occured.

> Just to be sure, which command is it?  Is it both
>
> ./MAKEDEV pcaudio
> ./MAKEDEV snd0
>
> or just one of those?
may be not all of them ;-)