Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 2010 00:54:32 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: chflags(1) unaware utilties

--YiEDa0DAkWCtVeE4

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 01:59:50AM +0400, Anonymous wrote:
> >> AFIK, pax is a POSIX thing, and as such working
> >> correctly or sanely would violate its posix nature.
> >> (POSIX is an anagram of "Pox?  Si!")
> >>=20
> >> Is cpio chflags-aware?
> >
> > To the best of my knowledge the _only_ way to be sure you have backed u=
p _all_
> > possible features (flags, extended attributes &c) of a UFS filesystem i=
s to
> > use dump(8) & restore(8).
>=20
> Since when did the thread switch to UFS-specific tools?=20

The point I was trying to make is that the way to make the most accurate
backup is to use the tools native to the filesystem.

To the best of my knowledge, only UFS and ZFS actually supports the flags u=
sed
by chflags(2), and since I don't use ZFS, I used UFS as my example, which
means dump/restore.

For ZFS you could use 'zfs send' on a snapshot.

> Unless I'm missing smth dump(8)/restore(8) don't work on ZFS. You can use
> bsdtar(1) in order to save/restore chflags, ACLs and extattrs in a
> FS-agnostic way.

Since bsdtar is based on libarchive, it has restrictions depending on the t=
ype of
format you use. See libarchive-formats(5).

If you are sure that your filesystem is not using any features that cannot =
be
stored in the libarchive format of your choosing, then by all means, go ahe=
ad.

Roland
--=20

--YiEDa0DAkWCtVeE4