Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 1999 07:53:52 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        lkloeble@magic.fr
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installation problem

On 31 May 99, at 21:18, Laurent Kloeble wrote:

> [...]

Please keep all messages CC'd to the mailing list.

> Forget about FIPS, it worked this time. Computers are so strange
> sometimes...
>
> Here is wat I did during my installation of FreeBSD (3.0 for the version=
)

> I chose the partition created with FIPS.
> I pressed T (change type) and choose 165 (for FreeBSD)
> I pressed Q to finish.
>
> After, I chose to install the FreeBSD Boot Manager.
>
> Then , it was the "FreeBSD Disklabel Editor"
>
> I pressed A (auto defaults). It gave this on screen :
>
> Part        Mount        Size        Newfs
>
> wdos1    <none>    2988MB    DOS
> wdos2a    /                32 MB      UFS Y
> wdos2b    swap        133 MB    SWAP
> wdos2e    /var             30 MB    UFS Y
> wdos2f     /usr            353 MB    UFS Y
>
> Then I pressed Q to finish.
>
> In "choose distribution" screen, i took 8 [all]
> In "choose installation media" screen, i took 1 [CD ROM]
>
> For the distributions, I choose ALL.

When having trouble such as this, I suggest you choose just bin.  It takes=

less time if it fails.  You can always use /stand/sysinstall later to
install the other distributions.

> And after several good screens about my progression :
>
> "installation completed with somme errors. You may wish to scrollthrough
> the debugging messages on VTY1 with the scroll lock feature. You can als=
> choose "No" at the next prompt and go back into the Installation menus t=
> try and retry whichever operations have failed."

Did you press the scroll lock, then use Page UP Page DOWN to view the
messages?

> But the next screen was the beginning of the installation (the one who
> comes just after the kernel configuration).
>
> __________________________________
>
> So, do you have enough clues to help me one other time.
>
> Thank you.
>
> PS : I've seen the web page http://www.freebsddiary.org/freebsd/dual.htm
> but did'nt find wat i was looking for.

What were you looking for that wasn't there?

Have you also seen http://www.freebsd.org/~rpratt/31/index.html which is a=

screen by screen install for 3.1?
--
Dan Langille - DVL Software Limited