Date:      Sun, 17 Mar 2002 08:43:51 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        re@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: -CURRENT Feature Slush is OVER

On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 01:08:43AM -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Imagine that you have the developer's prerelease, and you
> have a bug (because you're a developer who's using the
> pre-release).
>
> Now say you have become involved in the process, because the
> pre-release has done it's job.  You want to fix the bug.
>
> In order to do this, you are going to need the delta against
> the developer's prerelease source tree.  To get this, the
> process is:
>
> 1)	Before you make any changes, copy /usr/src to /usr/src.org
> 	OR
> 		mv /usr/src/usr/src.new
> 		reinstall /usr/src using /stand/sysinstall
> 		mv /usr/src /usr/src.org
> 		mv /usr/src.new /usr/src
>
> 2)	Make your changes
>
> 3)	Run diff -cr /usr/src/org /usr/src
>
> 4)	Now, figure out how to apply these diffs to the CVSup
> 	image of the -current CVS tree for some checked-out
> 	version of -current

And just HOW is this different from previous snapshot CD's?  You have the
source tarball w/no CVS/ directories.  To fix your bug, you have to do
these SAME exact steps.  I see ZERO difference.  You imply that maybe
RE's fixed some bug in only the code for the CD and not in the CVS tree.
Maybe you don't know that only pieces of bits that are CVS will be in the
src tarball.  Thus just like any snapshot CD source, you have to figure
out if someone in has backed out a change in the CVS repo, etc..  Again,
NO change from the past.

Geez people.  It was nice in the past when the snapshot CD's were done by
a private company where none of us got to see how it was produced.  Now
that the process is more open, people want to try to railroad the effort.
And people wonder why many companies and organization have real concerns
about opening up source bases and procedures....