Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2000 07:04:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Edward Wolpert <wolpert@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Reverse IP lookup failed...

I tried to send mail to this list from my server. I've got bind8
installed, and reverse pointers all set. I'm using DSL and got a
block of 8IP's from US West. The mail failed, saying it couldn't
get the hostname from my ip address. (Though I thought it was working
locally, other hosts in fact cannot get my hostname from my ip
address.)

Two parts to this question... is there a way to send mail to the list
without worrying about a reverse lookup? And two, I registered my
block of 8 (subnet mask 255.255.255.248)with Arin, yet it still
forwards the request to the US-West server. How do I get my block of
IP's registered so it goes to my nameserver tables instead of using
us wests?

(I can't as them for help... their tech support hear's UNIX
and say forget it. They also won't support using a hub with their
block of 8 ip addresses! They assume/desire that you run windoze or
MacOS directly connected to the DSL router, rather than use the block
of 8 IPs. Weird.)

Thanks.
Edward Wolpert