Date:      Thu, 06 Mar 1997 14:21:29 -0500
From:      dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        marcio@cyclades.com, Brian McGovern <bmcgover@cisco.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, Cyclades Technical Support <support@cyclades.com>, cy_serial@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCI probe invokation...

At 09:01 AM 3/6/97 -0800, Marcio Saito wrote:
>Hello.
>
>Brian McGovern wrote:
>> Hi. I'm currently working on a driver for Cyclades' Cyclom-Zo card, and
>> (as usual), I have a ton of questions....
>>
>> However, my first one is about the PCI probe routine. Having looked
>> at the cy driver for PCI, I've noticed that it compares the
>> device_id field to Cyclades Vendor ID (0x120e), and the device
>> id field to 0x100 or 0x101.
>>
>> Could someone please let me know where these values come from (function
>> prototype is below), so that I can ask the appropriate questions of
>> Cyclades, to see what I should be comparing against? Thanks.

Just in case this was orginally a "where do babies come from" question,
the answer of "where it comes from" is registers on the board itself
that are required for complience with the PCI plug-and-play spec.

Most O/Ss have routines that read these registers, but there may be
other specialized registers that you have to read yourself. The
basic configuration block registers are usually pulled by a routine,
but its likely that you will need to know about the registers yourselve
for some functions, depending on the card.

Dennis