Date:      Thu, 4 Jul 1996 18:18:30 -0400
From:      Anil John <ajohn@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
To:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>, "'Randy DuCharme'" <randyd@nconnect.net>
Subject:   RE: kernel make error

Randy DuCharme[SMTP:randyd@nconnect.net] wrote:
   >Greetings,
   >
   >Just tried making a 'custom ' kernel for my new machine.  It's a 486
   >isa/pci mainboard currently using a DX-33 (Intel) cpu.
   >
   >The process gets all the way through to ...

   >kern_sysctl.o: Undefined symbol '_hw_float' referenced from text
segment.

   >*** Error code 1

Randy,

This might be a case of the blind leading the blind since I am very new to
FreeBSD, but check your kernel configuration file for a 'device npx0'.
 This is a required device whether your CPU has a math coprocessor or not..

Anil

P.S. Everyone:  If I am giving the wrong advice to Randy, Please jump in :)