Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 1996 18:24:12 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        dubois@primate.wisc.edu (Paul DuBois)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: Mounting an extended partition..

Paul DuBois writes:

>> I have just received FreeBSD 2.1.5 on CDROM in the mail.
>>
>> During installation, when I was trying to install from an extended MS-DOS
>> partition I kept getting an "Invalid Argument (22)" message whnever the
>> instraller would ry to mount the partition (wd0s2). I finally
>> managed to install from my Primary partition (C:) without a problem.
>>
>> I am again trying to mount this extended partition with no luck.  I am
>> still getting "Invalid Arguement" errors with mount.  Anyone know what the
>> problem could be?
>
> I encountered the same problem with 2.1.  I decided that you simply
> cannot install into an extended partition, but I'd be curious to know
> if that's actually the case.
>
> Must FreeBSD be installed into a primary partition?

No, FreeBSD must be installed into a FreeBSD partition.  Primary and
extended partitions are only for MS-DOS file systems.  FreeBSD
partitions have the partition ID 165.

That's not what the original correspondent was talking about, though.
He was trying to mount an MS-DOS partition so he could copy data from
it.  On the whole, you're better off without MS-DOS.  If your CD-ROM
drive works, that's definitely the way to go.

Greg