Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 09:09:33 +0100
From:      Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>, Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, jamiE rishaw - master e*tard <jamiE@arpa.com>, Tom <tom@uniserve.com>, Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bugtraq posts: stream.c - new FreeBSD exploit?

On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 10:43:57PM -0700, Brett Glass wrote:
> Unfortunately, no. IPFW is stateless (at least from packet
> to packet). This makes it compact and fast but unable to
> detect or handle some situations by itself.
>
> You could write a daemon that hung off of a divert(4)
> socket (as natd does) to do this, but serious juju would
> be required.

The current way heart of the TCP stateful filtering engine in ipfilter
was designed by me. I am preparing an article on it which will
be preseneted at the European SANE conference
(http://www.nluug.nl/events/sane2000/index.html).
Once my article is ready you can probably easily use it to make
such a east for ipfw.

-Guido
in