Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 2002 03:17:50 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Todays RELENG_4_6 can't boot with ncr810 on kernel.GENERIC

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Darren Pilgrim wrote:

DP> > Anyway, main point of my posting was pointing out the fact that kernel
DP> > built from today's RELENG_4_6 GENERIC probed ncr _before_ sym. Which
DP> > leads to trouble, you see.
DP>
DP> The first time I went up to -stable, GENERIC wouldn't boot because I
DP> need some specific compile-time adjustments and driver settings that
DP> GENERIC doesn't have.  So now I build and install /kernel.GENERIC,
DP> then build and install my normal kernel as /kernel.  This works very
DP> well, and it gives me GENERIC sitting back there if I need it.  I also
DP> build an emergency kernel, installed to /kernel.emerg, which is an
DP> unstripped super-noisy debug kernel tuned to be as conservative as
DP> possible.  It as all the non-essential stuff removed and doesn't need
DP> to kldload anything.

Yes, now I'd teached enough, and I have such a kernel handy ;-)

But, to be fair, this was the first serious problem with GENRIC booting
I'd encounter.

For the tread: 4.6-R GENERIC kernel probes sym before ncr, so we should
dig somewhere in between.

Sincerely,
D.Marck                                   [DM5020, DM268-RIPE, DM3-RIPN]