Date:      Mon, 20 Jul 2009 13:18:07 +0200
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        Matthew Grooms <mgrooms@shrew.net>, Andrew Snow <andrew@modulus.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD + carp on VMWare ESX

On Monday 20 July 2009 01:25:03 Matthew Grooms wrote:
> The other options you mention are enabled by default. This problem
> also effects pre vSphere versions but only under certain
> circumstances. Others claim this is only an issue when NIC teaming is
> in use. However, I disabled this feature and still experience the
> problem without the patch applied.
>
> I'll be happy to post the config when I'm back in front of the
> computer. It's not a configuration problem. I'm not new to FreeBSD or
> carp and have quite a bit of time invested trying to get this to work.
>
> Have a look at the vmware forums. A lot of folks have reported the
> problem in great detail and, as far as I can tell, have yet to get
> this working.

There is clearly something very wrong with how the vswitch works and it's not
really FreeBSD's job to work around these issues.  The patch you posted is
rather intrusive and certainly not something we want in the tree.  You should
talk to VMWare's support to fix the obvious short-comings in the vswitch
design.

As for your patch - you want "IF_ADDR_[UN]LOCK(ifp);" around walking the
address list.  Don't forget to unlock before the return.