Date:      07 Jul 2002 12:09:05 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Dan Moschuk <dan@freebsd.org>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Package system flaws?

Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com> writes:
> Dan Moschuk wrote:
> > Where can we improve?
> In all of the above areas, plus all the ones we haven't addressed yet.

*grin*

One thing we could improve a lot is the package file format.  We
currently use gzipped tarballs, which have to be completely unpacked
before processing can begin.  One improvement we can make is to use an
archive format such as zip that allows us to extract individual files
quickly, so we can extract the metadata and check dependencies
etc. without unpacking the entire package.  This would save both time
and space (the current system can fail if the temp directory doesn't
have room for the unpacked package, even if the installation directory
has room to spare).  A further improvement is to use a custom archive
format that always stores the metadata at the beginning of the archive
so we can install packages from the net without having to download and
store them locally first (zip isn't suitable for this as it stores the
content directory at the end of the archive, and the files within the
archive can appear in any order).

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org