Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 19:30:08 +0100
From:      Christophe =?ISO-8859-1?B?UHLpdm90YXV4?= <c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr>
To:        mikea <mikea@mikea.ath.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP with VIA chipset system lockups

Yes I tried telnet it is not working
plus all telnet session previously opened
are frozen

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 11:50:46 -0600
mikea <mikea@mikea.ath.cx> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 06:45:49PM +0100, Christophe Prévotaux wrote:
> > I have a similar problem with a ASUS CUV4X-DLS
> > Dual CPU motherboard it is using VIA CHIPSET
> > as well and I have lockups , the system
> > freezes but I am still able to ping the machine
> > this is very strange , however nothing else works
> >
> > I have no problems running these machine in single
> > CPU mode but when I run SMP it does have freezing
> > problems
> >
> > On Tue, 26 Mar 2002 18:28:04 +0100
> > Per olof Ljungmark <peo@intersonic.se> wrote:
> >
> > > I have been running a dual processor machine for about three months. It is
> > > based on a Microstar 694 motherboard with VIA chipsets (see attached).
> > >
> > > I started with 4.4-stable  and went through 4.5RC to 4.5 stable. Since a
> > > couple of weeks or so (don't know exactly) I'm having regular lockups with
> > > SMP kernels. and because the system freezes completely I see no traces as to
> > > what is going on. The only way to recover is to pull the plug.
> > >
> > > I would be most grateful for information on a) how to try to find out what is
> > > happening and b) if anybody else have similar problems.
> > >
> > > Same machine with GENERIC kernel do not exhibit any problems.
> >

> > GENERIC is not using SMP
>
> Responding to ping means that _something_ is alive, deep down
> inside the IP stack. Have you tried to telnet in?
>
> I just ordered a TYAN Tiger 2505 last night; I'll put it in over
> the weekend and see what happens with it. IIRC, it also uses the
> VIA chipset. I tend to run one copy of Setiathome per processor,
> and so the processors are never really idle.
>
> --
> Mike Andrews
> mikea@mikea.ath.cx
> Tired old sysadmin since 1964

Christophe Prevotaux        Email: c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr
HEXANET SARL                URL: http://www.hexanet.fr/
Z.A.C Les Charmilles        Tel: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 05
3 Allée Thierry Sabine      Direct: +33 (0)3 26 79 08 02
BP202                       Fax: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 06
51686 Reims Cedex 2
FRANCE                   HEXANET Network Operation Center