Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 12:12:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Janko van Roosmalen <janko@compuserve.com>
To:        Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Clarification needed

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Consider this citation from "BSD Complete FAQ" I read on www.bsdtoday.com:
>
> --- tearline ---
> William and Lynne Jolitz, with their standard flair and panache, decided
> to write the pieces that needed to be written. From that decision came
> 386BSD Version 0.0. Generally considered to be unusable, it was
> nonetheless a major coup, in that one no longer needed the dreaded 'source
> license' to produce working operating system images. Version 0.1
> (generally considered to be the progenitor of all of the subsequent PC BSD
> systems) was released on Bastille Day, 1992.
> --- tearline ---
>
> What is this "Bastille Day, 1992" they're talking about?  Can one provide
> me with exact day, month, hour and minute? :-)
>
> Thanks.  And please cc me directly since I am not the member of this
> maillist.
>
> ./danfe

On 14 July 1789 a crowd of French people stormed the Bastille, the state
prison in Paris, and freed the prisoners. It signalled the start of the
French Revolution, which led to the disposal of the monarchy in France.
At that time in France you could buy a "lettre de cachet", an order to
throw somebody in prison. These letters where already signed by the
king. You could fill in the name of the person yourself.
There were of course many other causes for the people to revolt.

The 14th July is now a official national holiday in France.

Janko van Roosmalen