Date:      Sat, 8 Aug 1998 11:33:46 +0000
From:      Niall Smart <rotel@indigo.ie>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        Nicolas.Souchu@prism.uvsq.fr, chuckr@glue.umd.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C and static initialization with unions

On Aug 7,  8:29pm, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Not being able to compile FreeBSD with TenDRA is a sin.
>
> The problem here is that "largely" is just as uncompilable as "not at
> all".

Is it?  How many developers care that isn't possible?  How many
end users?  I think it makes sense to avoid gcc-isms wherever
possible but its not a religious thing with me.  In general, sticking
to ANSI C enforces some programming discipline, but if a gcc-ism
significantly eases development of some code then I think it makes
sense to use it, and come back when some other production compiler
is being used. (if ever)

> I also have patches to cdefs.h that wrapper ANSI vs. non-ANSI vararg
> declarations.  I use them to compile FreeBSD code using Aztec C,
> which is the only C compiler to get the sizeof(int) right on the 16
> bit address bus Motorolla 68000.

It seems a trifle silly for everyone to have to use K&R-isms (which
I find a pita) just so you can use some obsolete compiler on some
obsolete processor.

Niall

--
Niall Smart, rotel@indigo.ie.
Amaze your friends and annoy your enemies: