Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 1997 19:49:00 -0700 (MST)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        ouyang@us.ibm.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xdm

ouyang@us.ibm.com writes, w.r.t. xdm login:
 > I got the login screen as it was supposed to. However, after I
 > entered the username and password, the system returned to the
 > login screen again. I tried to reboot the system but got the
 > same result. Would you please tell me how can I fix this problem?
 > Thanks you very much!

Most likely something blew chunks in one of your login files, causing
the login to fail.  This is especially likely if you have a .xsession
file in your home directory and it isn't executable.  Hit Ctrl-Alt-F2 to
get to a text console, login there, and look at the .xsession-errors
file in your home directory.  It will tell you what failed (in a
somewhat cryptic manner).

If you want a good starting point, you can try my .xsession and .ctwmrc
files.  You'll need to install ctwm from the packages on the CD-ROM or
ftp server.  I'll put them on my ftp server:

	ftp.xmission.com:/pub/users/s/softweyr

These two files are, of course, highly customized for my use, but will
give you a general idea of how to setup your X workspace.  A couple of
notes:

 o All of the window manager settings are aimed at a 1024x768 display.  You
   should see a round clock in the upper right hand corner, and a bar
   with four colored buttons labelled Main, Edit, Root, and Surf in the
   lower right corner.  These buttons switch you between the four
   workspaces I have configured, it's kind of like getting four virtual
   workstations in one.  See man ctwm for more details.

 o Pressing MB1 on the screen background gives you a general menu.
   Pressing MB1 on a window border allows you to move the window.  To
   resize a window, click on the widget in the upper right of the window
   border and drag to a side; you will now be able to resize that side
   (or corner).

 o Alt-F1 through Alt-F4 will switch you between the different workspaces.
   If you want to return to one of the text consoles, hit Ctrl-Alt-F1
   through Ctrl-Alt-F3.  From a text console, Alt-F4 will take you back
   to X.

Enjoy.  I hope you find these helpful.  You find out *very* quickly that
I tend towards saturated purples and blues in my color choices, but feel
free to "fix" them if you must.  ;^)