Date:      Thu, 03 Jul 1997 09:27:09 -0400
From:      "Stephen F. Combs [Network Services]" <steve.combs@gemis.ge.com>
To:        Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        "Andrew K. Adams" <akadams@wraith.psc.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TrueTime GPS...

I've been evaluating a "TrueTime" Model NTS-100 for the last couple of
weeks (GPS Receiver with a network interface so you don't have to have
any specific S/W, just point your ntp S/W at it as a "server") and I
must say I haven't been tooooo terribly impressed.  It locks on to the
satellite(s) just fine (after I FINALLY found a good location for the
antenna!) but it's network response Sucks!  I've put it's AUI i/f on a
Cisco Catalyst switched-hub (it's own dedicated connection) wich is
directly attached to our FDDI campus ring.  10 pings of 100bytes result
in response times of 39ms to 256ms with AT LEAST 2 packets dropped!  I
attach a FBSD PC to the same port (using the SAME Twisted-Pair-to-AUI
tranceiver AND the same CAT-5 Cable) and get sub-2ms response times for
1000 packets of 100bytes with NO dropped packets!!  I have three
"stratum-5" ntp servers which sync to three machines in our corporate
FireWall office which work just fine.  The NTS-100 is currently driving
3 other NTP servers (it's a 'stratum-1' server, so the three machines I
have sync'ing to it are at 'stratum-2') which CONSTANTLY loose
syncronization with it!  For $4300 I'm NOT impressed!!!!
 I'm using a combination of FreeBSD and Sun Sparc systems as my NTP
servers for BOTH set-ups!  Running 'xntp3-5.90' on ALL systems.

--
----
Stephen F. Combs                 Internet:      CombsSF@Salem.GE.COM