Date:      Tue, 07 Nov 2000 09:06:04 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu>
Cc:        Jeremy Falcon <jeremy@intersurf.com>, "James G. Jones" <microtech@adelphia.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unix

One thing that many people miss is the difference between Unix and
UNIX(tm). The X/Open group will authorize the use of the UNIX label
for conformant operating systems that provide test results and $$$ to
X/Open. This is not the same as Unix. I'm unsure as to the official
state of this, but the opinion of the X/Open lawyers feel that the
trademark of Unix has not been protected by its prior holders and
would probably not be upheld in a challenge, so they trademarked
UNIX. (In the US, trademarks ARE case sensitive.)

For those unfamiliar with US trademarks, they are valid when used in
trade and when they are perceived by the public and something other
than a generic term. This has resulted in the loss of trademark status
for things like Formica. I suspect Kleenex is totally indefensible,
but no one has ever challenged it.

I also note that the box FreeBSD comes in say "BSD UNIX" on it. I
don't know if this means that BSDI has gotten X/Open sanction or not.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)