Date:      Sat, 02 Oct 1999 00:43:17 +0200
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        Michael Oski <onemo@jps.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISO Image question - possibly strange

Michael Oski wrote:

> OK, I know there is a port called mkisofs which will take a directory
> structure and create an ISO image of it, but is there anything that will
> do the opposite? I want to take an ISO image and dump it to a file
> system, rather than a CDR. Is this even possible?

You do not need any port for doing that.

First, you must build a kernel with support for vnode devices; add
a line like this to the kernel configuration file:

 pseudo-device	vn

Rebuild the kernel, reboot, and type:

 cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV vn0

This will create the vnode devices under /dev (vn0, vn0a, vn0b,...).

Then, attach the file containg the file system to the vnode device:

 vnconfig -v /dev/vn0c isoimage.raw

And then, mount the filesystem:

 mount -r -t cd9660 /dev/vn0c /mnt

Voilà :-)

When you finish using that file system, umount it and detach the
vnode:

 vnconfig -u -v /dev/vn0c

Hope this helps,

-- JMA
José Mª Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del País Vasco              | mailto:jmas@FreeBSD.ORG
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electrónica     | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-946012479
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-946013071