Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 22:57:14 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        rsharpe@ns.aus.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A comparison of Samba performance on FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE and Linux 2.4.13ac4

Richard Sharpe wrote:

> attached is a preliminary report on a comparison of Samba performance on
> FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE and Linux 2.4.13ac4.

Are you aware that 4.3-RELEASE has IDE drive write caching turned off
by default?  What was the Linux system configured with?  4.4-RELEASE
has it back on again by default.

Secondly, are you using a GENERIC kernel or a tuned kernel?  GENERIC
is quite unrealistic these days due to supporting the lowest possible
cpu (i386).  There is a significant amount of overhead to support this.
We really need to ship with a number of different kernels and install
the best-match at install time.  I have noticed that linux distributions
have been doing this for quite some time, and even go as far as installing
different libc's depending on cpu type.

You mentioned using fsync() vs fdatasync().  fsync() is pretty much the
worst possible thing that you can do to a softupdates file system as it
effectively negates all benefits of the dependency tracking, but still
incurs the significant expense of doing the tracking and unwinding.  I
would be curious to know what things looked like without fsync/fdatasync
(on both sides for fairness), and with a freebsd non-softupdates filesystem
mounted in async mode for parity with linux's async ext2fs.

I can't say that I'm too suprised with the results though.  It is fairly
well known that Linux's network stack generally has lower latency, and the
SMB request-response type protocol (is it still lockstep these days?) tends
to make this visible.

Cheers,
-Peter