Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 2004 12:46:24 +0100
From:      "Walker, Michael" <Michael.Walker2@capita.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Mail auth and FreeBSD/Sendmail

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org]On Behalf Of Andreas Wider=F8e
Andersen
Sent: 05 October 2004 12:38
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject: Mail auth and FreeBSD/Sendmail

Hi all,
I'm running FreeBSD 4.7 Stable on one of my servers and Sendmail 8.12.10.=
 I'm trying to get mail auth to work so that my users can send mail (smtp=
 port 25) through this server no matter which net they are connected to. I=
 have installed cyrus-sasl-1.5.28_3 and followed the description given on=
 this page=20
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/smtp-auth.html.=
 Everything seems to work and all tests give the expected results.

I have also looked at this page http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/auth.html=
 and done the initial test:

#telnet localhost 25
Trying ::1...
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 my.server.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.10/8.12.10; Tue, 5 Oct 2004 13:31:13=
 +0200 (CEST)
ehlo localhost
250-my.server.com Hello localhost [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250-ETRN
250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN
250-DELIVERBY
250 HELP

When I'm testing sending mail through this server (as smtp server) I use=20
Eudora 6.1 from my WinXP PC. I always get relaying denied and it doesn't=20
seem to check username/password.

Here's what my logfile and Eudora log says:

Oct  5 13:35:18 myserver sendmail[59394]: i95BZIow059394:=20
ruleset=3Dcheck_rcpt, arg1=3D<andreas@xxxxx.no>, relay=3Dmy.ip.address.doma=
in.com=20
[x.x.x.x], reject=3D550 5.7.1 <andreas@xxxxx.no>... Relaying denied. Proper=
 authentication required.

I would be very grateful for any help here. I'm stuck and I don't know what=
 to check next.

Thanks alot!
Andreas

---

Andreas Wideroe Andersen <andreas@wideroe.net>
Mobile: (+47) 90 92 61 21
http://www.filmshooting.com =20

I have a similar setup, apart from I use cyrus-sasl2.
Do you have the relevant options to start the sasl authd in your rc.conf?
If so, have you tried using a different email client to check and make sure
it is not Eudora that is at error?

Mick Walker

*******
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may be s=
ubject to legal privilege, and are intended solely for the use of the indiv=
idual or entity to whom they are addressed. =20
If you have received this email in error or think you may have done so, you=
 may not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message. Please =
notify the sender immediately and delete the original e-mail from your syst=
em.

Computer viruses can be transmitted by e-mail. Recipients should check this=
 e-mail for the presence of viruses. The Capita Group and its subsidiaries =
accept no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this =
e-mail.
********