Date:      Sat, 21 Nov 1998 17:43:03 +0100 (MEZ)
From:      Rainer M Duffner <Rainer.Duffner@konstanz.netsurf.de>
To:        Paul <paulturner@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Find and an editor

On Fri 20 Nov, Paul wrote:
> Found this address in the newsgroups.  I have 2.2.7 and X working fine. If
> only i could get find to search through multiple directories and find an X
> editor to edit the important files, I am sure I could go a lot farther.
>
> When I try to use "find sysinstall" for example, it searches only the current
> directory.
> I have since found /stand/sysinstall, but there are many other files I
> need to "find".

man find
will produce lots of text, which you'll only need at some point in the
future.
Basically, it goes like this:
find / -name file_name -print
will search the complete tree. This will take some time, depending on
the amount of source you have laing around, it will take some minutes
even with a fast SCSI-disk.

find . -name file_name -print
will search from the current directory downward.

find /usr/local -name file_name -print
will search /usr/local only.

You can play with the size/age things later.

> I also would like a stable X based file editor. Please do not
> point me to "vi". I admi t I am coming from Microsoft.

nedit.
Not too complicated, yet reasonably powerful.
It's in the ports, but you'd need Motif to manually compile it (which I
guess you don't have).
So, install it from a package (should be on the first CD, IIRC).

> We are a community service non-profit organization, and I am less than
> enthusiastic about supporting the commercial monopoly.

Just buy buying the CD and not-buying something from Redmont, you've
effectively lowered their profit.
Go and install a larger mail-server and you cost 'em several 1000s in
Exchange-Licences.
I have seen estimates that a 500-User Exchange-System would cost
close to 200000 USD.

> If you have a moment, I would also like some hints on how to handle the fact
> that the rest of the "world" expects us to be able to deal with the
> "Word" and "Excel" files th at get sent to us, if we go completely

StarOffice (IIIRC) 5.0 is free for personal use now (even the Windoze,
Mac, OS2 and Solaris versions).
I just hope, you don't have to suck the 70 Meg Download down a 28k
phone-line...

cheers,
Rainer
|Rainer Duffner, E-Mail: duffner@fh-konstanz.de  |
|        &   Rainer.Duffner@konstanz.netsurf.de  |
|Fachhochschule Konstanz, Germany                |
|"What's a Network ?"  - Bill Gates, early 1980s |
|   WWW:http://www-stud.fh-konstanz.de/~duffner  |