Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 23:16:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Lamont Granquist <lamont@scriptkiddie.org>
To:        <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   SMP ffs_mountfs() broken?

I just cvsupped about an hour ago, built world and built a kernel that was
GENERIC with 486/586 turned off and SMP and IOAPIC turned on.  It crashed
while trying to mount root.  Apologies for mistakes in the following since
I don't have a serial console and had to write it down:

<normal da0 SCSI adaptor dmesg output>
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
SMP AP CPU #1 Launched!
kernel trap 12 with interrupts diabled
panic: blockable sleep lock (sleep mutex) Giant @ ../../../i386/i386/trap.c:706
cpuid = 1; lapic.id = 01000000
Debugger("panic")
Stopped at Debugger+0x41: xorl %eax, %eax

trace showed the watchdog trap and then:

_mtx_lock_sleep
_mtx_lock_flags
vn_lock
spec_open
ffs_mountfs
ffs_mount
ufs_mountroot_try
ufs_mountroot
start_init
fork_exit
fork_trampoline

(sorry for eliminating all the args and such, but that's a lot of hex
numbers to write down by hand -- if anyone requests i'll see what i can do
about getting it off the serial port..)

I've never had this machine successfully running 5.0 with SMP, this was my
first attempt.  My machine is:

2 x 1.4GHz K7 MP1600+
512MB crucial ECC
Adaptec 39160
Seagate 36GB drive (not used for my 5.0 box)
13GB IBM UDMA66 drive (5.0 is installed on this)
Geforce2/MX
Soundblaster

I'll try to see if this was due to the cvsup or due to SMP.  I've got a UP
kernel from a few weeks ago that works fine.