Date:      01 Feb 2002 17:49:31 -0500
From:      Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HOW to debug memory corruption efficiently?

Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com> writes:
>     Purify's nearest (commercial) competitor is ParaSoft's "Insure++".
>Perhaps things have improved but, when we last evaluated it a year or
>two back, it was a LOT slower than purify (unusably slow for our
>applications).  I seem to recall 5-10X slower than purify (maybe more).
>It can detect a few problems that purify does not, however (e.g., bad
>arguments to printf()).  Insure++ needs access to source code for best
>results.  I believe a Linux version is available.
>
>     There is no open-source equivalent to purify (and probably won't
>be, due to patent issues).  The closest thing is "GNU checker", but
>that's a pale, feeble dust speck compared to purify (assuming that you
>even manage to get checker working).

        I'd also give the latest version of dmalloc a try.  It also works
fairly well, and includes protecting freed memory blocks to catch
free-memory reads (I think) and writes.

        C++ may need minor source mods to track source file/lines for
new'd objects.  Overall it works pretty well.  See ports and also
dmalloc.com.

--
Randell Jesup, Worldgate Communications, ex-Scala, ex-Amiga OS team
rjesup@wgate.com