Date:      Wed, 23 Nov 2005 09:22:20 +0100
From:      Sebastiaan van Erk <sebster@sebster.com>
To:        Greg Barniskis <nalists@scls.lib.wi.us>
Cc:        Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews@isc.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DHCP client error: domain_not_set.invalid

Hi,

Greg Barniskis wrote:
> Mark Andrews wrote:
>
>>     Yes it is reasonable to expect ISP to fix things like this.
>>     You pay the ISP to operate there part of the network within
>>     the operational contraints of the RFCs (Standards track and
>>     BCP).
>

> I totally agree. Make sure when calling tech support on things like this
> that you are *not* asking them to provide FreeBSD support, that you can
> handle that angle of the connection quite well, thanks. Explain that the
> evidence shows that their system appears to violate global connectivity
> standards (if you can name which RFC and exactly how it's violated,
> great, but don't expect first tier help desk phone operators to
> understand that as it is probably way, way beyond their troubleshooting
> script).

I think this would all be reasonable in a perfect world. In the real
world you're paying the operator to get internet access and they often
list which operating systems they support (and they don't list FreeBSD).
They're going to ask you what operating system are you running, then ask
you if your connection works; and when you say it works under windows
but violates an ``RFC'' they're just not going to give it much priority.

> Then when the help desk staff goes "uhm...", politely ask to be
> escalated to second tier and clearly and politely state your case there,
> again making it clear that you are *not* asking for FreeBSD support, but
> support by them of global connectivity standards that every ISP ought to
> be respecting.
>
> At least you have a chance of getting your trouble ticket marked
> something like "Unresolved -- Bug" instead of "Resolved -- Unsupported
> OS". That is to say, the kind of ticket that self-escalates to engineers
> and managers somewhere away from the help desk proper.

The word chance says it all. And all the time you're hoping for this
chance to become reality you cannot use your broadband connection.
Furthermore there are two other problems with this approach:
1) it often costs you a lot of money (even though it can be argued that
it is reasonable that ISPs fix real problems free of charge and not
charge you an arm and a leg for it, in the real world the situation is
often not so perfect).
2) it often costs you a lot of time; it's going to be really hard to
even get your request escalated to second tier, and it's definately
going to take days and mulitple calls before they start to take you
seriously.

In the end, it's the FreeBSD user that suffers.

Greetings,
Sebastiaan