Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 20:46:31 -0500
From:      Redmond Militante <r-militante@northwestern.edu>
To:        Dan Pelleg <daniel+fbsdq@pelleg.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: need help with ipfw rules

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND

hi
thanks for responding

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 09:16:36PM -0400, Dan Pelleg expatiated with great =
perspicuity:
>=20
> > hi all
> >=20
> > my apologies, this could get long as i'm including the text of various
> > config files:
> >=20
> > i've been trying to learn ipfw. i've recompiled a kernel with the
> > following options
>=20
>=20
> > ipfw add allow ip from any to any

typo
=20
> Do you really want to allow everything in, or is this just a typo?
> If this rule is really in effect, the rest of the rules are
> not doing anything.
>=20
> > ipfw add allow ip from 127.0.0.1 to 127.0.0.1 vua lo0
>=20
> I'm assuming "vua" is a typo - should be "via".

typo again
=20
> > ipfw add allow udp from any to any 53
> > ipfw add check-state
>=20
> You're not letting DNS replies to come back. You are allowing the queries
> to go *out*, but when the remote server's reply packets hit the firewall
> they have port 53 on the *source* address, not on the destination.
> So they don't match that rule anymore and are discarded.
>=20
> What you probably want instead is:
> ipfw add allow udp from any to any 53 keep-state
>=20

i changed this line.  boots up fine.  webserver, ssh, nfs, mail, etc. work.=
  there's only one problem i noticed right off the bat - it looks like ftp =
users can authenticate fine, but when their ftp client tries to bring up a =
list of files in their ftp directories, it hangs at 'getting file list...'

any ideas on how to fix?

thanks
redmond=20
> Another point: you're not using the "divert" rule for natd,
> and I see you have NAT enabled in your rc.conf. This is likely to
> be a problem later (well, you'll just not have NAT).
>=20
> A very good resource for this is /etc/rc.firewall. Just try
> to follow what the "CLIENT", "SIMPLE" and "OPEN" targets
> do, or even let them run, then output the generated ruleset
> and use it as the skeleton of your own ruleset.
>=20
> Another useful debugging tool is "ipfw show" - typed repeatedly to watch
> which counters increased and so to know which rules were hit.
> Once you get into stateful filtering, you'll want "ipfw -d show".
>=20
> Having said that, good ol' tcpdump is always handy to have around.
> Just fire up "tcpdump -ni XXX" with XXX for your external interface
> and see what's going out and what's coming in. Once you start
> firewalling for a network, a "tcpdump -ni III" with III being
> the internal interface becomes useful as well, either in itself
> or in addition to the external-watching tcpdump.
>=20
> --
>  Dan Pelleg
>=20