Date:      Wed, 3 Jun 1998 01:22:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxtv - mmap of driver buffer failed

On Wed, 3 Jun 1998 richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk wrote:

> Having not looked at this for a long time, I just installed the 3.0
> SNAP 980520 and the fxtv 0.46 package that comes with it.  Unless I
> run it as root, I get the message "mmap of driver buffer failed:
> Permission denied".  What have I missed here?

I think this is FXTV falling behind reality.  It open /dev/bktr0 read-only
but requests read-write protections on the mmap()'d buffer. However this
is a security hole since you can still write the device even if you only
have read-only perms.  It can be overridden by the superuser.

See rev 1.75 of src/sys/vm/vm_mmap.c for details.

The fix is to have fxtv open /dev/bktr0 O_RDWR and not O_RDONLY.  It's too
late in the night for me to try this tho.  For all I know this was fixed
in the fxtv 0.47 which just came out.