Date:      Wed, 22 Jun 2011 00:59:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Sushanth Rai <sushanth_rai@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPI and I/O interrupts

Hi,

I would like to understand little bit about the FreeBSD interrupt handling on x86.

When a cpu is processing an IPI, let's say cpu is running IPI_STOP handler, are I/O interrupts like the timer interrupt disabled ? Conversely if the cpu is holding a spinlock, which means it has disabled interrupts, can it process an IPI. My understanding is executing "cli" instruction disables the maskable interrupts. I was wondering if IPIs are part of that.

Thanks,
Sushanth