Date:      Sat, 12 Dec 1998 13:10:52 -0500
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        jfesler@gigo.com
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAO Integration?

jfesler@gigo.com wrote in message ID
<Pine.BSF.4.00.9812101745280.18110-100000@heaven.gigo.com>:
> > Why?  Traditionally Unix hasn't run on hardware that has software
> > power off.  Who can say what traditional unix is when the hardware has
> > a new feature?
>
> Solaris on Sun equipment has been doing it a long time.  I can telnet,
> shutdown with a state of 5, and bewm, buh-bye power.   Workstations can be
> turned back on via keyboard; the servers I've used actually physically
> throws a power switch that has to be manually switched back on.
>
> Considering the age of the equipment and the OS level I'm using, I can
> safely say it's been doing it many years :-).

Also consider that it has some serious bugs ... do shutdown -g0 -i5 -y on a
UltraSPARC 5 and it'll power down quite happily. If its headless, you're also
screwed as it needs a *keyboard* which has the power switch in the corner
before it'll switch back on. The power button on the front is useless. *sigh*

But you are right, shutdown -i5 is nice. On the other hand, it is *not* the
default action of halt or shutdown....

Gary