Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2001 12:40:45 -0500
From:      Jeffrey Dunitz <orpheus@avalon.net>
To:        Gabriel Bastidas <gabriel7_99@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports  ----  bash ---- kde2.x ---- handbook

On this day Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 12:05:03PM -0500, the following great wisdom poured forth from the mouth of Gabriel Bastidas, to the stark amazement of all who witnessed:
> the ports collection comes in the image iso of aprox.
> 650Mb of freebsd_4.3 , or do I need to find out for those?

If you get the ports ISO image, I think you also get the source code
for all of the stuff. If you don't plan on installing most or all
of the ports, you'd probably be better off just getting the
ports.tar.gz file which is about 13 megs. When you unpack the ports
tarball, you can cd to the directory of a particular software package
you want to install, and type "make install". It will automatically
go download the source code and do everything else for you, too.
Very nice.

> bash comes with the standard instalation, or do i need
> to get it, compile it and install it?

You can get bash as a precompiled binary package, or you can install
it from the ports as described above. Very simple.

> where to get binary files for kde2.x for freeBSD?

Same thing--it's available as a package or a port.  Check out the
packages collection on the FTP site.

Of course, if you go to the store and buy the book and CD set, you
get all this stuff on CD, packages and everything, and you get Greg
Lehey's excellent book to help you with stuff.

> the freeBSD handbook is the best way for a "UNIX NEWBIE"
> to begin to crawl on FREEBSD SYSTEMS?

Yup, start there, then either get "The Complete FreeBSD", or
"the FreeBSD corporate networking guide" (not the exact title).
Both are very good books. Also, Evi Nemeth, Garth Snyder and lots
of other people recently put out a new edition of "the Unix System
Administration Handbook". Go to www.admin.com for more info. If you
get it from the bookstore, make sure you get the purple one--the red one
is old, but some places are still selling it.