Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 2002 20:24:04 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patches to if_loop + the interface cloning framework

--JP+T4n/bALQSJXh8

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 10:10:49AM -0800, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 08:55:53PM -0800, Archie Cobbs wrote:
> > Julian Elischer writes:
> > > I think loopback is not really 'optional' and should come as soon=20
> > > as you have any networking at all.
> >=20
> > Why? From a theoretical standpoint, there's nothing mandatory
> > about it. E.g., consider a machine that is only a router, has
> > no users, etc. It doesn't need one.
>=20
> Try to build a kernel without,
>=20
>   pseudo-device   loop            # Network loopback
>=20
> And see what happens.

I think that you and Archie are speaking at cross purposes;
he means that the loopback interface is not really necessary
for any theoretical networking model, while you point out that
the assumption that there will always be a loopback interface
has gained very firm ground in many places all around the network
subsystem of the FreeBSD kernel.  In theory, it should still be
possible to rework the code in those places, so that the kernel
does not rely on the loopback all that much :)

(Not that I would be the one to actually try to *do* that.. :)

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net	roam@FreeBSD.org
because I didn't think of a good beginning of it.

--JP+T4n/bALQSJXh8

--JP+T4n/bALQSJXh8--