Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2007 21:48:38 -0500
From:      Mike Andrews <mandrews@bit0.com>
To:        Jack Vogel <jfvogel@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.2-RELEASE em0 watchdog timeouts -- sometimes (w/ partial workaround)

Jack Vogel wrote:

> On 1/16/07, Mike Andrews <mandrews@bit0.com> wrote:
>> I have a strange issue with em0 watchdog timeouts that I think is not the
>> same as the ones everyone was having during the 6.2 beta cycle...
>>
>> I have six systems, each with two Intel GigE ports onboard:
>>
>> Systems A and B: Supermicro PDSMi+
>> Systems C and D: Supermicro PDSMi (without the plus)
[snip]

>> Several times a day, em0 will go down, give a watchdog timeout error on
>> the console, then come right back up on its own a few seconds later.  But
>> here's the weird twist: it ONLY happens on systems A and B, and ONLY when
>> running at gigabit speed.  If I knock the two switch ports down to 100
>> meg, the problem goes away.
[snip]

> There are some management related issues with this NIC, first if you
> have not done so make a DOS bootable device, and run this app I
> am enclosing, it fixes the prom setting that is wrong on some devices.
> It will do no harm, and it may solve things.
>
> Let me know if it does fix it please.

So far it seems like it DID fix it, but give me another day or two to
watch it to be sure.  Thanks!

FYI, it only changed the PROM on the first NIC on each PDSMi+ box; it
said the second NIC was fine.  (But since the first NIC was the one I
was having trouble with...)

I ran it on the older PDSMi boxes and it said it changed both NICs on
those, even though they were (and still are) working fine.

--
Mike Andrews  *  mandrews@bit0.com  *  http://www.bit0.com
It's not news, it's Fark.com.                  Carpe cavy!