Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 1999 13:01:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Paul LaFollette <lafollet@netaxs.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ssh1 (config?) problem

I have three FreeBSD 3.2 or 3.3 systems under my direct control. I have
ssh2 up and running happily on all three of them.  I also need to
interact with a number of other systems that I do not manage,
one a Dec Alpha running its native unixoid thing, and the other
a Sun of some sort running Solaris.  Both have ssh1 daemons (old sshd)
running.  However, when I try to ssh1 to either of them, I get
a message RSA key has too many bits for RSAREF to handle (max 1024).

Trying to connect with the -v switch gives me (buried in 'mongst lots
of other stuff) some lines that read:

: Waiting for server public key.
: Received server public key (1152 bits) and host key (1024 bits).
: Host 'blah.foo.com' is known and matches the host key.
: Initializing random; seed file /home/xyzzy/.ssh/random_seed
RSA key hast too many bits for RSAREF to handle (max 1024).

So... is this my problem?  Is it the server's problem?  Do I need something
special in a config file?  Do i need a different RSA library?

Thanks for any help.

(Just to give some positive feedback to whomever wants it, I've been
using FreeBSD since before it was FreeBSD.  I love it more with every
release.  I feel great satisfaction ever time I discover that the driver
I contributed long ago for a piece of obsolete equipment is still part
of the distribution.  Thank you all for all the work you do to make this
a lively and ever more wonderful project.)

Paul L.