Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 1996 14:58:50 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I'm rather annoyed with -current.

Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net> writes:

>You need to build and install rpcgen *before* the include files are
>built.  There is also a dependency problem with either the libraries or
>the crt0.o file (I don't remember which one is first.)
>
>It basically boils down to the fact that we *should* be building the
>sources out of the src tree and not out of the stuff in
>/usr/{lib|include} etc...  (Which I've argued against in the past as
>un-necessary and complex, but I think we've now reached critical mass
>and require it.)

Now, while we are at it, will you also agree that we should not be using
the tools in /usr/bin either?

In particular, there are three (logical) systems to consider.

A. The host
B. The cross-compiler
C. The target

"make world" runs through everything twice in order to produce both "B" and "C".
In the process, it trashes "A". If we recognize that each pass of "world"
is really just like a compilation of one tree, we can do everything with a
straight forward "make".

First we make the tools into the object tree and then we turn around and
make the target binaries using those tools.

Since we want to fold the sources, we need to have "make" look into the
tree for the current definition of the tools like rpcgen.

----
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@dataplex.net