Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 02:34:39 -0700
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   problems with USB floppy/usb and resume

Hi,
since upgrading from 4.2 to a recent RELENG_4 i noticed the following
problems with my laptop (Sharp AX 10) and external USB floppy (MITSUMI)
(which used to work fine with 4.2):

 + insertion of the external device is not seen after a suspend/resume.
   Killing/restarting usbd does not seem to help.
   I am pretty sure that this worked with the 4.2 kernel.
   usbdevs shows

	addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
	  addr 2: UUT-USB41 hub, Texas Instruments

   and when the device is seen, it is shown as attached to the TI hub.

       da0 <MITSUMI USB FDD 1033> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
       da0: 20KB/s transfers

   I can successfully connect devices (e.g. mice) to the root hub,
   but due to different connectors I cannot connect the floppy there.
   Still i suspect the TI hub not being properly reinitialised after
   the resume

 + with a stock system, the system tries to issue some 6-byte and
   another (sync-cache) unsupported command. I had to add quirks
   to sys/cam/scsi/scsi_da.c (same as for the Y-E DATA device) to
   disable the generation of those commands.

   Once i do this, i can successfully read from the disk, but then
   writes fail with

	WRITE(10). CDB: 2a 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 8 0
	ABORTED COMMAND asc:4e,0
	Overlapped commands attempted

   and also fdformat /dev/ad0 replies

	fdformat: not a floppy disk: /dev/ad0

   (this may or may not be related to the WRITE failure, though i see
   no such messages when i try fdformat).

So, any idea on how to debug (and possibly fix) this stuff before
4.6 is out ?

	thanks
	luigi