Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 14:16:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Chuck Paterson <cp@bsdi.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Preemptive kernel on older X86 hardware

Chuck Paterson writes:
 > }
 > }If this isn't possible on an x86, please don't laugh too hard. I
 > }really don't know much about low-level x86 details.
 > }
 > }Cheers,
 > }
 > }Drew
 >
 > 	It can be done. In BSD/OS and Solaris however the locks must
 > be gotten because they are what protect from interrupt service.

Err... But I wasn't advocating removing the locks.  I was suggesting
having the routine patch in the correct locking code (or calls
thereto) based on the processor type at the first invocation of each
mutex.  This way we could have a GENERIC kernel with the correct
locking code for both 3/486 and modern x86 processors compiled in
without the overhead of doing the processor type check on every call.

Sorry if I wasn't clear..

Drew