Date:      Mon, 9 Sep 2002 11:57:42 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Charles Peterman <cjp@sandstorm.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DVD-RAM: multi-session writing

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 13:34:28 -0400, Charles Peterman wrote:

> FreeBSD 4.5.
> Hitachi DVD-RAM drive
>
> I have to support writing files to a DVD-RAM in a Windows compatible mode.
> Normally I would treat the thing as a slow HD and read and write at my
> leisure, but Windows does not play nicely with UFS.  So I came upon the
> solution of writing an ISO image out to the disk, like so:
>
> readcd dev=$DVDRAM_SCSI_ID -w f=image.iso.
>
> Now this works and is portable, but it has an unfortunate side effect. If I
> attempt to write another image out, I overwrite the existing data.
>
> So, there are three possible solutions:
>
> 1. Move to UDF, (works for me, but management is scared of anything labelled a
> "kernel change")

FreeBSD's UDF code doesn't have write support yet, I don't think.  You'd
have to use something like mkisofs to make an image and dump it on the
drive.

> 2. Figure out some way to get the first sector after the last ISO from the
> disk, and start writing the new data there.  (I checked camtools and readcd
> and came up with nothing.)
> 3. Make a new ISO with all of the old and the new data, write that out to
> disk. (A bit resource intense, but it should work.)
>

> The question for you is whether I was thorough enough evaluating method 2.  Is
> there some way to find out the last sector used on a SCSI device from the
> command line?  If not, is there some way to roll my own?

Check out the -C and -M options for mkisofs.

Also, you don't need to use readcd to write the image.  You can just use
dd.  e.g.:

dd if=image.iso of=/dev/cd0c bs=2k
(you can use seek= to jump forward on the disk, so you don't have to start
from the beginning each time)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry