Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 16:40:14 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Wayne Lubin <wayneclubin@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from 4.2 to 4.3

Wayne Lubin <wayneclubin@yahoo.com> types:
> How does one upgrade from 4.2 to 4.3 and keep all
> config files and all installed ports etc... Or is the
> only way to do this simply to install 4.3 from scratch
> and thus loose everything done with 4.2. I have looked
> in the documentation but can't seem to find a
> definitive answer to this question. Thanks in advance
> for your help.

Sysinstall includes a "upgrade an existing system" option. That won't
upgrade the configuration files, but puts the new ones in
/etc/upgrade.  The upgrade option won't let you install source - or
wouldn't last time I tried it. If you want to do that, remove the old
source first. If you do install the new source, I'd recommend
mergemaster instead of using the /etc/upgrade files.

Upgrading doesn't clean out old files, which can be a
problem. Especially if the old files are config files, as you may wind
up trying to change something using a file that is no longer used by
the system. Because of that, the best upgrade path is to do a clean
install and restore the config files by hand. With good admin
practices, the restore should be straightforward.

	<mike