Date:      Wed, 23 Dec 1998 16:22:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>, jim@cgi.sstar.com, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hint benchmark on Multia VX40A

On Sun, 13 Dec 1998, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Actually, the results were from Hint run on an AlphaStation 200 4/166,
> not a Multia.  I guess I didn't make that as clear as I should have.
> The AlphaStation should be a bit faster than a Multia.

The AlphaStation should be a *lot* faster. The 21066, which the
Multia uses, differs from the 21064 in the AS200 in a couple of
major respects. One is that it has PCI logic on board, so you don't
need external circutry for that. The second is that its memory
controller is *very* slow, 2-3 times slower than a Pentium. For
general use, it feels more or less like a high-end (66 to 100 MHz) 486.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org