Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 19:45:44 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        smpatel@wam.umd.edu (Sujal Patel)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PnP problem...

> > Non-PnP cards are probed before the sort because you can't cause them
> > to be relocated.  This give you a base set of per device configuration
> > attributes for those devices which you recognize.
>
> Unfortuantely, since Non-PnP cards and PnP cards BOTH fall into the
> category of ISA Cards, you can't [easily] have the luxury of probing the
> ISA Non-PnP cards first.  There just really isn't an easy way to seperate
> the non-PnP and PnP Cards.

What?

You just disable "all" the cards.  Those that still respond to the
probe aren't PnP... though like WD cards or soft config NE2000
clones, you could potentially relocate them (a bit) anyway.

If nothing responds to the probes, then you have a PnP motherboard
and you enable one slot at a time and check for PnP.  Probe the ones
that aren't.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---