Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 08:00:07 -0400
From:      Paul Murphy <pnmurphy@home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   A couple of questions re DHCP

1. Is there any way to make dhclient renew the lease on my ip manually?
Every way I try to do this while dhclient is running I get "Address
already in use". It seems to me there should be a command line option to
force dhclient to reconfig the interface [e.g.. dhclient --renew].

2. Currently my ipfw ruleset contains:

# Allow DHCP
${fwcmd} add pass udp from any 68 to any 68 via {oif}
${fwcmd} add pass udp from any 67 to any 67 via {oif}

 This seems somewhat insecure, how can I _tighten_ up the rule?  I'm not
sure if I can specify the "from" address, should it be my ISP's gateway,
broadcast, or DHCP server address?  I would test each of these using
tcpdump except for 1. [above]

3. How can I automagically insert a new ip address in my ipfw ruleset if
DHCP decides to change it. [e.g. oip="xx.xx.xx.97" changes to
oip="xx.xx.xx.28"]

--
Paul Murphy
http://members.home.com/pnmurphy/