Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2002 13:43:51 -0400
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Corey Holcomb-Hockin <crsntlvs@ipeg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Fxtv crash

Corey Holcomb-Hockin wrote:

> Jason Andresen wrote:
>
> >They are a compile option in the port.  WITH_MATROX_GXX_DRIVER
> >
> >I don't think that's the problem though.  The GXX drivers don't seem to
> >do all that much.  I've had them installed since they first appeared
> >and I havn't noticed additional breakage or really all that many new
> >features.  I think the drivers are ment for G400s though, and I have
> >a G200.
> >

> I have the XFree86 package that came with the 4.6.2 cd.  I've never
> tried to compile it from ports because I figured it would be a long
> download  and I'm on dialup.  Does this options add the mga_hal module?

Yes. setting that option causes X to be built with support for the
MGA_HAL
linux binary module.

> When you mentioned official Matrox drivers I checked the matrox website
> and found some linux drivers with source.  I guess thats not what you
> meant.

Actually that is what I ment.  Fortunatly FreeBSD and Linux are
compatable
in this area.

> I also tried getting dri working by compiling agp into the kernel.
>  XFree86 still gives errors about not finding mga_hal, then disabling
> dri.  Are these things needed for dma with the wintv and if so where do
> I get mga_hal?

AGP support is only the first step, you need hardware support for your
card as well.  Recompiling X isn't so bad.  It will take a while to
download over the modem, but unless you pay per minute it won't be
overly painful.  If your ISP kicks you off for inactivity, you can start
the compile before you go to bed and have it finished by morning.

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer