Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 18:40:45 +0000
From:      Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
To:        John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NetWare / IPX routing facts and a question

John,

thank you so much for this patch to IPXrouted, I'm specifically
interested in the filtering mechanism, because it's a lot
of IPX junk on our network (basically an entire multi-site
campus.)

> Here is a patch that I'm running. The problem is that on a large network
> the SAP table can grow very large and take a long time to be transmitted.
> (Only 7 SAP entries fit into a packet and you need to space them 50ms
> apart.) The current code will do it in one go, but during that time it
> will not read any received packets so the input buffers can overflow. The
> patch will check for received packets between each SAP broadcast and
> process them.

Hmm, how would this problem become manifest? It would seem that
you would not see the servers at all on the nlist. But once
you see them and you try connecting to them, they should be
right there, or not? My problem is that I can see the server
being listed but when I try to log in or do more with it, it
says that the server isn't available; or if it is, other subsequent
accesses may fail. Would be nice to know what kind of
problem your patch has fixed for you.

I will try it anyway, and I am hopeful that the mere filtering may
help to get things straightened out.

Thanks again,
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistent Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine