Date:      Thu, 05 Apr 2001 09:41:09 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <bob@eng.ufl.edu>
To:        wood@soundconcept.net
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Further question Re: cvsupped to RELENG_4 but got 4.3-RC

> Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 23:49:40 -0500
> From: "Brian D. Woodruff" <wood@soundconcept.net>
> Subject: Further question Re: cvsupped to RELENG_4 but got 4.3-RC
>
> At 10:35 PM 4/4/01 -0400, you wrote:
> >On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 09:32:39PM -0500, Brian D. Woodruff wrote:
> > > Here are my questions:
> > >
> > > 1.) is there a way to specify 4.2-STABLE, which is what I have been using?
>
> excellent answer to part 2
>
> can anyone tell me how to get the STABLE version I want?

If you want to have identical code on all of your systems, you need
to specify your update by date rather than "the latest -STABLE" (which
is what the tag you are using does).  Unfortunately, I don't know
the details of how to do that, so I can't help with that part.

To restate that, the cvsup tag you are using always fetches the
latest 4.x code, whatever that may be.  Unless you cvsup all of
your systems at the same time, they will likely end up with
different code, because -STABLE is continuously updated.

The 4.3-RC you fetched is, by the way, exactly the same thing as
the latest 4.2-STABLE.  There is no difference.  It is NOT a snapshot
of -CURRENT.

Good luck.

- Bob

> I would rather be consistent across my servers than have some be one
> release past the others.
>
> Valid thinking or not, I would like to know how to do this with cvsup, if
> possible.
>
> Thanks!
>
> BDW
>
> > > 2.) is this a mistake? If so, when will it be corrected?
> > >

> >http://www.FreeBSD.org/FAQ/book.html#RELEASE-CANDIDATE
> >
> >--
> >Chris D. Faulhaber - jedgar@fxp.org - jedgar@FreeBSD.org
> >FreeBSD: The Power To Serve   -   http://www.FreeBSD.org

  Bob Johnson            Senior Systems Programmer
  bob@eng.ufl.edu        College of Engineering
                         523 Weil Hall
  352-392-9217 Office    University of Florida
  352-392-7063 Fax       Gainesville, FL  32611