Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2000 17:13:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        Dan Potter <shun@mail.utexas.edu>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: when is 4.0 up for release ?

:On 2000-Mar-08 10:38:23 +1100, Dan Potter <shun@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
:>Has anyone thought about the problem I posted a few days ago (getcwd()
:>breaks on unionfs in some conditions)? That seems like a pretty big
:>problem to me... maybe not too many people use unionfs though, I don't
:>know.
:
:LINT contains the comment:
:# NB: The NULL, PORTAL, UMAP and UNION filesystems are known to be
:# buggy, and WILL panic your system if you attempt to do anything with
:# them.  They are included here as an incentive for some enterprising
:# soul to sit down and fix them.
:
:This suggests that there are more serious problems that need fixing.
:
:Peter

    Unionfs is somewhat useable but there are indeed still some serious
    bugs remaining.  I did a considerable amount of work on it last
    year that fixes the more aggregious problems, but I still can't
    buildworld/installworld using unionfs overlays without getting data
    corruption.  The main problem that unionfs suffers from is that
    the VFS stack was not designed to support transparent overlays and
    unionfs has to fake out the system to make it work, especially when it
    comes to the VM system.

    I think the getcwd() problem is worthy of a send-pr, but I don't know
    anyone who is currently working on unionfs (and I probably will not have
    any time to do so this year myself).  It does sounds like it ought to be
    relatively easy to fix considering how repeatable it is.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>